Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Looking at: The future of this publication

2015 and beyond

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/elderly-woman-eating-salad-14776801.jpg


We're now one whole week into 2015, and I've a good portion of time thinking about what I want to do with this blog and where I want to take it in 2015. I realize it all seems fruitless, given that my average readership is between 10-20 views per post, but here's the thing: I don't write this blog for other people. This entire thing is just an echo chamber for my thoughts that I share with you. To all of my readers, I really do appreciate you, and we're nearing the big 1k page views more and more every day. I love talking about games, and the occasional movie or weird shit I run across online, and writing this blog has been a great exercise for me. Who knows, maybe one day it'll turn into something, but for now I'm just going to keep on keeping on.

That said, I'm going to take a moment to look at what I have planned for the future of LookingAtAThingInABlog and what I'd like to start doing in the new year.

No more film reviews

Sort of. Reading back some of my reviews that I did in 2014 I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not very good at it. I mentioned this in my review of Space Jam. I find I have a lot of trouble discussing why I like movies that I like, and I'm never really able to do them the justice they deserve.

The caveat here is that I'm going to keep reviewing bad movies, or movies that I don't really like all that much. Here I can have some fun with it, and it's a lot easier to discuss why I dislike something then it is to talk about why I liked it. Speaking of video reviews...

Reviews of videos

No, I'm not going to start reviewing random Youtube videos, that'd be weird. What I do want to start doing is looking back at some of the weird or obscure TV series of days past and discussing them. I have a strange backlog of old kid's shows and I love to start looking at them here. Shows like the various incarnations of Mario, The Legend of Zelda, or the Weird Al Show, weird shit from a time long gone.

Continuing with the theme of videos...

Video content

I'm probably not going to start doing complete video reviews, I just don't have a setup for that sort of thing right now. What I do have is video recording software, an editing suite, and a new graphics card that can actually render video without killing itself. I sort of teased this in my look at DayZ with video I captured during a session. Expect more stuff like that as I try to move more towards original content.

Non-review articles

I have several ideas for series that I'd like to try and things I'd like to write about. Here's the deal: writing opinions on games every day is actually difficult sometimes. I tend to run out of games to talk about, since I try to only discuss games I'm actively playing right now. Expect to see some new series popping up in the near future.

A Brave New World

Like I said, this blog is just an echo chamber of my random thoughts and opinions. I'm very grateful for the readers I do have and I look forward to what 2015 will bring. I love writing this blog, and I'm really excited to try out some new things with it. Stay tuned 2015, it's going to be a good year.

No comments:

Post a Comment